Qatar reports progress after US-Iran technical talks in Doha
Qatar has reported “positive progress” following the conclusion of indirect technical talks between the United States and Iran in Doha, as efforts continue to implement the memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed by both countries on June 17.
The discussions, mediated by Qatari officials, focused on key issues outlined in the agreement, including the future of the Strait of Hormuz, the release of frozen Iranian assets, sanctions relief and Tehran’s nuclear programme.
The talks came amid renewed regional tensions involving the US, Iran and Israel, which had raised concerns about the durability of the 60-day ceasefire extension agreed under the MoU.
Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani met separately with US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, son-in-law of US President Donald Trump, during the negotiations in Doha.
While Washington has maintained that direct negotiations with Tehran are ongoing, Iran has continued to deny engaging in direct talks with US officials. Tehran insists the discussions in Doha remain indirect and are being facilitated by Qatar.
US Vice President JD Vance said the Trump administration remained optimistic about the negotiations, describing the US as being in a “great position” regardless of the outcome.
“We obviously want the talks to succeed,” Vance said in an interview with Fox News, while warning that any Iranian attack on shipping routes in the Strait of Hormuz would trigger a military response from Washington.
He also claimed Iran’s nuclear programme and military capabilities had been “destroyed” and said technical discussions on implementing the MoU were continuing.
Iranian officials, however, have expressed frustration over the pace of implementation of the agreement. Tehran is seeking the release of $6bn in frozen assets as an initial step under the deal.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Iranian negotiators met Qatari officials in Doha to discuss the frozen funds and other components of the MoU.
Analysts say Iran’s reluctance to engage in public direct talks with the US reflects growing scepticism within the Iranian leadership over whether Washington will fulfil its commitments under the agreement.
Alex Vatanka, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute, said pressure was mounting inside Iran as critics questioned the lack of visible progress on sanctions relief, frozen assets and regional security issues.
Scott Uehlinger, a US national security expert and former CIA officer, said the Doha talks were aimed at preventing further escalation, particularly over Iran’s role in the Strait of Hormuz.
According to Uehlinger, Washington is seeking clarity on how Tehran intends to interpret and implement provisions of the MoU relating to maritime security and regional stability.
