US Travel Restrictions: How the new rules affect every visa applicant from Nigeria
The United States has placed Nigeria on a list of countries subject to partial travel restrictions, citing concerns related to security challenges and visa compliance.
The decision was announced on Tuesday through a presidential proclamation issued by the White House, which revised an existing list of nations facing full or partial entry limitations into the US.
Nigeria is among the 15 mostly African countries affected by the partial suspension. Others on the list include Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Dominica, Gabon, The Gambia, Malawi, Mauritania, Senegal, Tanzania, Tonga, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
According to the White House, Nigeria’s inclusion was influenced by the activities of extremist groups such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State, which it said operate in parts of the country and complicate screening and vetting processes.
The proclamation also referenced US visa overstay data, noting that Nigeria recorded a 5.56 per cent overstay rate for B-1/B-2 visas and an 11.90 per cent overstay rate for F, M, and J visas, based on the most recent Overstay Report.
Meanwhile, Turkmenistan was removed from the list after the US said the country had made notable improvements in identity management and information-sharing systems.
In a separate development, Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger, three Sahelian nations, were added to the list of countries facing full travel restrictions. The White House attributed the decision to the presence and activities of terrorist organisations in those countries. South Sudan and Syria were also newly placed under full entry bans.
Existing full travel restrictions remain in place for nationals of Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen. Additionally, Laos and Sierra Leone, previously under partial restrictions, have now been upgraded to full travel suspensions.
The White House said the measures are part of the president’s responsibility to safeguard US citizens and national security. It added that the restrictions are intended to prevent the entry of foreign nationals for whom the US lacks sufficient information to adequately assess security risks, enforce immigration laws, and advance counterterrorism objectives.
What Nigerians Need to Know
The US administration’s proclamation imposing partial travel restrictions has specific and varying implications for Nigerians, depending on their current visa status. Current visa holders, those seeking renewal, and first-time applicants must understand how this new policy framework affects their travel plans and application processes.
1. For Current U.S. Visa Holders
For Nigerians who already possess valid U.S. visas, the proclamation offers a measure of reassurance. The policy explicitly exempts existing visa holders from the new restrictions. This means Nigerians with valid B-1/B-2 (tourist/business), F (student), M (vocational student), J (exchange visitor), work, or immigrant visas are not automatically barred from traveling to the United States.
The U.S. administration has reinforced that the restrictions are forward-looking rather than retroactive, stating that exceptions apply to:
“lawful permanent residents, existing visa holders, certain visa categories like athletes and diplomats, and individuals whose entry serves U.S. national interests.”
Consequently, current visa holders can continue to travel, provided their visas remain valid, and they meet standard entry requirements at U.S. ports of entry. However, immigration analysts caution that holders may face heightened scrutiny during border inspections, particularly concerning the purpose of travel and length of stay, as U.S. authorities intensify enforcement under the new policy environment.
For Nigerians Seeking to Renew Visas
For Nigerians whose visas are expiring or have expired, the situation is more complex. Under U.S. immigration law, visa renewals are treated as new applications, even if an applicant previously held the same visa category.
As a result, Nigerians seeking to renew B-1/B-2, F, M, or J visas will now fall directly under the partial suspension framework. This does not mean renewals are automatically denied, but applicants should expect: Tighter screening, Longer processing times, and a higher burden of proof
Applicants may be required to provide more detailed documentation demonstrating strong ties to Nigeria, clear travel intent, and compliance with previous visa conditions. For instance, students renewing visas may face additional questioning around academic progress, funding sources, and post-study plans. Furthermore, the narrowing of certain family-based immigrant visa carve-outs could also affect Nigerians seeking to renew or transition to immigrant status through family sponsorship.
For First-Time Visa Applicants
The most significant impact is likely to be felt by first-time visa applicants. Nigerians applying for U.S. visas for the first time—particularly in the B-1/B-2, F, M, and J categories—will face the strictest interpretation of the new policy.
While applications are still being accepted, approval thresholds are expected to rise. Consular officers will place greater emphasis on security checks, travel history, financial capacity, and the credibility of applicants’ stated intentions.
The U.S. administration justified Nigeria’s inclusion by citing security challenges and overstay data. Specifically, it pointed to the presence of “radical Islamic terrorist groups such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State” in certain parts of Nigeria, alongside a B-1/B-2 overstay rate of 5.56% and an F, M, and J overstay rate of 11.90%. These factors are likely to shape decision-making at U.S. embassies and consulates.




