Trump says US, Iran held ‘very good discussions’
U.S. President Donald Trump said his administration had “very good discussions” with Iran during negotiations that lasted throughout Tuesday, raising hopes that the five-month conflict could be nearing a resolution.
Financial markets reacted positively on Wednesday, with oil prices declining and Asian stocks rising after Wall Street reached record highs amid optimism that an agreement could soon reopen the Strait of Hormuz to shipping.
“They had an all-day negotiation,” Trump told Fox News’ “@ Night” show. The Strait of Hormuz “is going to be open very soon,” Trump added. “If they back out again, they are going to get hit really hard.”
Trump has repeatedly warned of large-scale military action if Tehran failed to reach an agreement, while also pointing to progress in negotiations that have yet to bring the conflict to an end.
Axios, citing two regional sources and a U.S. official, reported that Washington and Tehran are close to an interim agreement that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz with Oman’s backing. The report said the U.S. hopes to announce the deal on Wednesday.
However, Iranian state media, quoting an informed source, said any agreement involving Oman over the strategically important waterway would be delayed for as long as the United States continues to threaten Iran.
Qatar also reports progress in talks
Despite the latest developments, Trump has not yet achieved the objectives he outlined at the beginning of the conflict, including dismantling Iran’s nuclear programme, limiting its capacity to attack regional rivals, and creating conditions for political change in Iran.
Iran has largely suspended traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, while the United States continues to enforce a blockade targeting Iran-linked shipping and ports.
Earlier, Qatar said mediators were making progress in efforts to end the conflict, despite Tehran previously denying that negotiations were taking place.
According to Qatar’s Emiri office, Trump and Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani discussed ongoing efforts to reduce tensions between Washington and Tehran and improve the chances of reaching a lasting agreement during a phone call on Tuesday.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said discussions with Oman on movement through the Strait of Hormuz had been constructive and were continuing. State media reported that the talks are focused on creating safe shipping routes while protecting the sovereignty and national security interests of both Iran and Oman.
Iran has consistently maintained that it should share control of the Strait of Hormuz with Oman, which lies across the waterway. However, Tehran rejected an Omani proposal last week that would have introduced joint oversight and voluntary fees for vessels using the route.
Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthis have also maintained a naval blockade targeting Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea, adding further pressure on regional oil export routes. Indian officials said all 14 crew members were rescued after an Indian-flagged vessel was struck near Yemen and later sank, in an attack that Yemen attributed to the Houthis.
The United Nations’ International Maritime Organization said at least 17 seafarers have died in 64 incidents recorded in the Strait of Hormuz since the conflict began on February 28.
The maritime casualties are separate from Iran’s reported toll of 50 people killed and 500 wounded in U.S. strikes since hostilities intensified in late June. The figures were released before Iran said a U.S. strike on Qeshm in late July killed a husband, his wife and their two-year-old son.
Overall, Iran says more than 3,400 people have been killed since the U.S. and Israel launched the war on February 28, while the United States says it has lost 18 military personnel during the conflict.