Troops arrest eight suspects linked to Borno mosque bombing
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have arrested eight people suspected of being involved in a recent suicide bombing at a mosque in Borno State.
The attack occurred on December 24, 2025, when a suicide bomber detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) inside a mosque at Gamborun Market in Maiduguri, the state capital. The explosion killed at least five worshippers and left 35 others injured.
In a statement issued on Monday, Sani Uba, the media information officer of Operation Hadin Kai, said the suspects were apprehended during a military operation carried out in the early hours of the day at Yan Lemo, in Mubi South Local Government Area of Adamawa State.
According to Uba, two of the arrested individuals are believed to be key figures in the suicide bombing network, serving as major facilitators of the attack.
He said a search of the suspects’ residence led to the recovery of cash, mobile phones, ATM cards, identification documents, jewellery, and other personal belongings. These items are currently being subjected to forensic analysis to aid ongoing investigations.
Uba added that during identification procedures, a suspect already in custody identified the two principal suspects as the individuals who supplied materials used to assemble the IED. Other occupants of the residence were also found to have links to the network.
“All suspects are currently in military custody and are undergoing detailed interrogation to enable further intelligence gathering before they are handed over for continued investigation,” the statement said.
The army had earlier arrested two other suspects in connection with the bombing and had identified Shariff Umar as the principal coordinator of a suicide bombing network linked to recent attacks and attempted attacks in the North-East.




