Trump: Iran will be hit ‘very hard’ if Strait of Hormuz remains closed
US President Donald Trump has warned that Iran would face severe military action if the Strait of Hormuz remains shut, saying the US is prepared to respond forcefully if ongoing engagements fail.
Speaking during an interview on Fox News, Trump said discussions with Tehran had been progressing well. However, he cautioned that the US would resume missile strikes if Iran failed to honour its commitments.
“The Strait’s going to be open very soon or they are going to get hit very hard,” he said.
“If they back out again, they are going to get hit really hard. They know that. They understand that. I have no choice.”
The US president said he preferred reaching a diplomatic settlement but stressed that military action remained an option if negotiations broke down.
“I hope we won’t — we’re having very good discussions. They don’t like to admit that,” he said.
Iran has rejected claims that it is holding direct talks with the US, maintaining instead that it is working through Oman on efforts aimed at reopening the strategic waterway.
Tehran has also tightened its grip on the disputed Strait of Hormuz.
“If the United States continues its violations, the Strait of Hormuz will not be reopened even if Iran and Oman reach an agreement,” state broadcaster IRIB reported on Wednesday.
Hassan Ghashghavi, spokesperson for Iran’s national security and foreign policy commission, said the waterway — which carries about one-fifth of the world’s crude oil supply — would never revert to the situation that existed before the conflict. He said, “it would not return to its pre-war status under any circumstances.”
