Now Reading
Death toll from US invasion of Venezuela hits 80

Death toll from US invasion of Venezuela hits 80

The death toll from Saturday’s military incursion into Venezuela by the United States has climbed to 80, according to a report by The New York Times.

A senior Venezuelan government official said those killed include both civilians and members of the country’s security forces, warning that the figure may continue to rise as assessments are ongoing.

Residents of Caracas reported hearing multiple explosions in the early hours of Saturday, sending shockwaves through the Venezuelan capital.

Several hours later, U.S. President Donald Trump announced via social media that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife had been captured during the operation.

Addressing reporters after the attack, Trump said the United States would temporarily assume control of Venezuela’s affairs until a political transition is completed. He stated that Washington was determined to prevent a repeat of long-standing governance challenges in the country.

“We don’t want to be involved with having somebody else come in and create the same problems we’ve seen for years,” Trump said, adding that any transition process must be handled carefully and responsibly.

The U.S. president described the operation as “remarkable,” noting that no American troops were killed and no military equipment was lost during the strike.

However, Venezuela’s defence minister rejected claims that the United States would govern the country, dismissing such assertions as unacceptable interference.

See Also

Meanwhile, the White House said it expects Venezuela’s interim administration, led by Delcy Rodríguez, to comply with U.S. demands following Maduro’s capture.

Trump has repeatedly warned of further actions against alleged drug trafficking networks operating in Venezuela, saying ground operations could begin soon.

In October, the former president disclosed that he had authorised the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to conduct operations inside Venezuela aimed at tackling illegal migration and drug smuggling.

The latest military action follows months of increased U.S. military presence and activity in the region.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2025 Neusroom. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top