15 Chinese nationals, 9 Nigerians arrested over alleged illegal mining in Nasarawa
Some Chinese nationals and Nigerian citizens have been taken into custody by security operatives over alleged illegal mining activities in Amba community, Kokona LGA of Nasarawa State.
The suspects were arrested on Friday during a raid carried out at illegal mining locations across the area.
The operation was led by Emmanuel Agbadu Akabe, the deputy governor of Nasarawa State.
Danladi Jatau, speaker of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly, and other senior government officials also participated in the exercise.
The raid formed part of the state government’s efforts to tackle illegal mining and protect its mineral resources.
During the operation, officials confiscated minerals packed in cartons, CCTV cameras, and other equipment used at the mining sites.
Addressing journalists at the scene, Akabe said those involved had continued their activities despite repeated warnings from the state government against illegal mining.
He said the visit was aimed at assessing the situation firsthand and ensuring that individuals operating outside the law are held accountable.
Akabe also expressed concern over the growing number of foreign nationals allegedly involved in mining operations without the required legal documents.
He added that although mineral resources fall under the exclusive legislative authority of the federal government, the state still has a duty to protect its communities and ensure mining activities do not threaten the environment or residents’ wellbeing.
“As a responsible and responsive government, we cannot fold our arms while individuals pursue illegal ventures within our territory. The sanctity of the law must be respected, and every business enterprise must operate within the legal framework,” he said.
Speaking through an interpreter, the Chinese nationals said they had been mining in the community since last year and were working on behalf of employers based in Abuja.
In June, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Mining Marshals arraigned 15 Chinese nationals and nine Nigerians before a federal high court in Abuja over alleged illegal lithium mining in Nasarawa State
