Soldiers allegedly invade UNIOSUN hostels, assault students
Military personnel attached to the Army Depot in Osogbo have allegedly invaded student hostels belonging to the University of Osun (UNIOSUN), assaulting students and confiscating several mobile phones.
The incident reportedly occurred on Monday night, according to the university management.
Speaking to journalists during a visit to the affected hostels on Tuesday, the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Clement Adeboye, condemned the incident and said the matter had been reported to the management of the Army Depot.
“It is unfortunate that the Army Depot, which is located close to the campus and was expected to provide security support, is now being linked to this kind of disturbing experience for our students,” Adeboye said.
The university’s spokesperson, Ademola Adesoji, alleged that some female students were stripped and indecently touched during the raid.
“More than 20 students have so far been identified as victims. The soldiers allegedly came from the Osogbo Army Depot and assaulted the students,” he said.
“Some female students claimed they were stripped and sexually harassed, while some male students were also beaten.”
Adesoji further disclosed that two students were hospitalised following the incident, although one of them had been discharged as of Tuesday morning.
According to him, over 60 gadgets, including mobile phones, were seized during the operation.
“Five of the suspected perpetrators were identified and brought to the campus on Tuesday morning, but they were later returned to the military base. We were informed that the army authorities intend to dismiss those found culpable,” he added.
He, however, noted that the university could not independently confirm allegations of rape made by some students.
Reacting to the incident, the Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Army Depot in Osogbo, Major Abdullahi Ibrahim, described the development as unfortunate and inconsistent with the values of the military.
He stated that some officers connected to the incident had already been arrested, adding that the Commandant had ordered a full investigation to ensure that anyone found guilty would face appropriate disciplinary action.
