Now Reading
DSS launches probe into operatives over Sowore courtroom incident

DSS launches probe into operatives over Sowore courtroom incident

The Department of State Services (DSS) has commenced an investigation into the actions of its operatives following the dramatic removal of Omoyele Sowore, publisher and presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), from a federal high court in Abuja.

The development comes after a viral video showed armed DSS officers forcefully dragging Sowore out of the court premises on Monday after proceedings related to his remand.

Justice Mohammed Umar of the federal high court had earlier ordered Sowore’s remand at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the hearing of his application challenging the revocation of his bail.

The judge issued the order after dismissing an application by Sowore seeking his withdrawal from the case over alleged bias.

Sowore’s bail had been revoked on June 16 after he failed to appear before the court, prompting the issuance of an arrest warrant.

The footage of the courtroom incident triggered widespread criticism, with many Nigerians questioning the conduct of security operatives during the enforcement of the court order.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, DSS spokesperson Favour Dozie said the agency’s Director-General had ordered an immediate investigation into the conduct of officers involved in the incident.

“The Department of State Services (DSS) has noted concerns of some citizens over events at a Federal High Court in Abuja on June 22, 2026, leading to the remand of Omoyele Sowore in Kuje Prison,” the statement said.

The agency also referenced an altercation involving Sowore and correctional officials, adding that he eventually chose to enter a DSS vehicle instead of one belonging to the Nigerian Correctional Service.

“Of more concern is the scene depicting Sowore’s altercation with an official of the Custodial Centre and a seeming scuffle with operatives of the Service,” the statement added.

See Also

The DSS stressed that it did not oppose Sowore’s bail application in court and maintained that the decision to revoke the bail was solely that of the court.

Sowore is currently facing a two-count charge filed by the DSS over social media posts in which he allegedly referred to President Bola Tinubu as “a criminal” on X and Facebook.

According to the agency, Sowore had earlier been asked to retract the statements through a letter dated September 4, 2025.

Dozie stated that the charges were instituted to seek judicial clarification on whether the activist’s comments constituted disparagement and cyberbullying against the president.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2025 Neusroom. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top