Now Reading
DNA test result shows unidentified body dropped at Ikorodu morgue was Pelumi Onifade- Coroner

DNA test result shows unidentified body dropped at Ikorodu morgue was Pelumi Onifade- Coroner

A Lagos coroner has confirmed through DNA testing that an unidentified body deposited at the Ikorodu General Hospital mortuary in 2020 was that of Pelumi Onifade, a journalist with Gboah TV.

The confirmation was made on Tuesday after the Lagos State DNA and Forensic Centre submitted a sealed report to the coroner’s court. Investigating magistrate Temitope Oladele disclosed that the DNA profile of the body tagged “1385” matched samples provided by Adebose Onifade, mother of the deceased journalist.

The body had reportedly been brought to the Ikorodu morgue on November 3, 2020.

Pelumi Onifade went missing on October 24, 2020, after he was allegedly arrested by police officers attached to the Lagos State Task Force while covering a mob attack on a government facility in Agege, Lagos. Witnesses said the journalist was taken away despite wearing clothing identifying him as a reporter.

Days later, Gboah TV announced that his remains had been located at a mortuary in Ikorodu.

When Neusroom visited the Onifade family in 2021, Pelumi’s mother spoke through tears about the uncertainty surrounding her son’s disappearance and death. Nearly five years later, the DNA confirmation has provided official identification, though questions around the circumstances of his death remain unresolved.

In July 2024, a Federal High Court in Lagos ordered the state government to conduct a coroner’s inquest into the circumstances surrounding Onifade’s death and to identify and prosecute anyone found culpable.

As part of the proceedings, the court ordered the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) in November 2025 to carry out a post-mortem examination on the unidentified body recovered from Ikorodu General Hospital.

However, progress in the case suffered delays due to an industrial strike at LASUTH. During a hearing in March 2026, Alimi Adamu, counsel to Media Rights Agenda (MRA), informed the court that the strike had ended and requested a renewed directive to the hospital’s management to proceed with the autopsy.

Earlier this year, LASUTH reportedly stated that identifying the body had become difficult because DNA samples stored at the Lagos DNA and Forensic Centre were destroyed during the October 2020 #EndSARS protests.

At Tuesday’s proceedings, Adamu questioned whether LASUTH had complied with the court’s earlier directive on the autopsy report. In response, Magistrate Oladele said the court had not received any report from the hospital but had obtained the DNA findings from the forensic centre confirming the identity of the deceased.

Oladele noted that she believed the autopsy “has already been conducted or ought to have been done,” while urging patience before taking coercive measures against the hospital.

See Also

Adamu expressed appreciation for the coroner’s understanding but stressed that the deceased’s family had waited years for answers and closure. He urged the court to compel LASUTH to submit the autopsy report without further delay.

The magistrate subsequently ordered that a final administrative reminder be sent to LASUTH demanding immediate submission of the report. She also advised lawyers representing MRA to personally visit the hospital to facilitate compliance.

Oladele warned that the court would exercise its powers to compel production of the autopsy findings if administrative efforts prove unsuccessful.

The case has been adjourned until July 7, 2026.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2025 Neusroom. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top