26 rescued as death toll in Lagos building collapse rises to nine
The death toll from the collapse of a three-storey shopping complex in the Alakija area of Lagos has increased to nine, as emergency responders continue search-and-rescue operations at the site.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) confirmed on Friday that 26 persons had been rescued alive from the rubble.
The building, located along Old Ojo Road in the Ori-Ade Local Council Development Area (LCDA), collapsed on Thursday, trapping several occupants beneath the debris.
Earlier, Margaret Adeseye, director of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, disclosed that two bodies had been recovered while 16 victims were rescued alive during the initial phase of the operation.
Providing an update on Friday, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, permanent secretary of LASEMA, said rescue teams had entered a critical stage of the operation as efforts intensified to reach the base of the collapsed structure.
“We have deployed sophisticated equipment, including both heavy-duty and light-duty machinery,” he said.
Oke-Osanyintolu added that all emergency response agencies in the state had been mobilised to support the operation.
“All first responders in Lagos State are on the ground, and rescue efforts are continuing,” he said.
He expressed optimism that more survivors could still be found beneath the debris.
“With the technology and manpower at our disposal, we remain hopeful. If there is anyone alive beneath the debris, that person will be rescued,” he added.
According to him, rescue operations would continue until emergency workers reach “ground zero”.
“We will continue until we reach ground zero. The operation is still ongoing, and we are deploying additional machinery to the site. More equipment is being moved from our Ijora base to ensure we work effectively and efficiently throughout the night and into tomorrow morning,” he said.
The ongoing operation involves LASEMA, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), private sector partners, and the Local Emergency Management Committee.
Authorities have yet to determine the cause of the building collapse.
